Owning a furry companion or rather allowing a furry creature to own you, is a mutually beneficial and dynamic relationship, with many positive effects. Having a pet is good for your mind, body, and soul.
Prestigious, glitz and glam pet shows and magazine adds, suggest buying purebred pets from stores and breeders, while neglecting to put light on the dark side of pet industry. Buying a pet, not only denies a homeless pet a home, it also supports an industry that thrives on short changing the welfare of animals. In the following article, we are presenting you 15 reasons why you should adopt a pet or two, or three…
- You save a life. Actually, you save two lives. By adopting from a private animal protection society, shelter, breed rescue group or the local animal control agency, you are saving the lives of two animals - the pet you adopt and a homeless animal somewhere which can now be rescued because of the space you helped free up. Lost, given up and abandoned shelter pets need second chances and loving homes and families.
- You break the cycle of pet overpopulation. Despite the nationwide gaining momentum of the no-kill movement, each year 8 to 12 million pets are euthanized, simply because there are not enough homes for all of them and the shelters are overcrowded.
You help stop cruelty in the mass breeding process. Commercial pet-breeding facilities and backyard, so-called breeders, produce animals in a "factory style’’. The breeding industry sees the animal as an asset and uses it for producing litter upon the litter while offering intolerable conditions and environments.
- You are being easy on your wallet. Buying a purebred pet with ancestral titles and prizes costs hundreds or thousands of dollars while adopting is much less expensive. By adopting you save money on the long term too, because hybrids tend to be healthier. Additionally, shelter animals are usually microchipped, vaccinated and either spayed or neutered.
You get a pet who has received good care. Shelter animals are admitted and taken care by experienced staff. Upon arrival, every animal goes through thorough medical examination and behavior scanning process. All present issues are properly addressed by trained and caring professionals. Shelter staff makes sure animals are in top shape before they are available for adoption.
- You avoid housebreaking headaches. Training your pet to use the litter box is almost always time, energy and patience consuming. Especially if you are a first time owner. Luckily, many shelter pets have already been housebroken.
- You take advantage of adopting an adult animal. Besides the housebreaking habits, adult animals are often familiar with some basic obedience commands. Plus, by adopting adult animals you can immediately see their personality, instead of waiting to see what you got. You are also skipping the irritating "childhood faze’’ and "testing the boundaries faze’’.
- You get a lifetime resource with shelter employees and volunteers. Shelters and rescue groups are invested in providing a good home for the animal and will help you through the familiarization period. On the other hand most pet stores do not offer support in cases of questions and problems and basically once you walk out of the store, you are on your own.
You choose from a great selection of animals. Shelters offer an unmatched variety of animals, both hybrids and purebreds. They provide space for animals of all different ages, shapes, sizes and personalities. Therefore choosing the perfect companion that will fit your lifestyle can not be easier.
You are debunking myths. One of the biggest myths about shelter pets is that all of them have behavioral issues or are rescued abuse victims with irreversible psychological traumas. In fact, most of the abandoned animals end up in shelters simply because their owners can no longer take care of them or because they are results of whimsical impulse buys and once the craze is over, they are no longer wanted.
You set an example and encourage others to adopt animals from shelters. Your pet is a walking commercial for promoting adoption.
- You choose the environmentally conscious way. As dull as it may sound, pet adoption is the noblest form of recycling.
- You are being cool and fashionable. Charismatic celebrities walk around with adopted animals beside them, sharing a message that adoption is not just the right thing to do, but also the cool thing. A shelter animal is the ultimate fashion statement and it coordinates amazingly with any outfit.
- You show there is always more than what meets the eye. Adopting proves your inner depth. It shows you value substance – mysterious animal of unknown parentage and origin, over style – predictable pedigreed purebred.
- You will feel better. Pets have a way of putting a smile on your face. Besides their unconditional and life-enriching, love and loyalty, they have been shown to be psychologically, emotionally, and physically beneficial. Caring for an animal provides a sense of purpose and fulfillment. Knowing you saved your companion from an unpleasant fate, makes the bond even more meaningful.
So…make a visit to the local animal shelter, save a pet or two and get yourself started on the road to canine redemption. After all, love and happiness can not be bought. They can only be found. Please raise the awareness for #adoptdontshop.
Featured Meowdel: @mimo_and_kirry
Ready to adopt? You can visit your nearest shelter!
If you have any stories regarding your adoption, please send it this way. We are putting together a booklet of adoption stories to raise awareness and encourage people to save a pet or two. You will receive a gift from us when you submit your story.
Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Headline: My Adoption Story