When it comes to our cats, the environment isn’t the first thing that comes to mind, but maybe it should be. There’s no doubt we love our cats, but their carbon pawprint does affect the world around us. Much of this impact comes from the use of traditional clay cat litter. If you’ve wondered what your kitty’s box has to do with the environment, we have devoted this article to looking at the impact of clay litter and the importance of eco-friendly cat litter.
🍀The Environmental Impact of Clay Cat Litter🍀
Clay cat litter comes from a finite resource. What does this mean? As the name implies, the clay that makes cat litter comes from the Earth. It’s mined using a process that takes layer after layer of naturally occurring clay from mines. In fact, over two million tons of clay is mined from the Earth each year in the U.S. And while extracting this resource is extremely harmful since it cannot be replaced, there are a lot of other impacts surrounding the process that negatively impact the Earth.
Mining for clay litter disrupts the ecosystem by hauling away rocks and digging into the ground. This steals the habitat of animals and plants. From shipping the clay to moving the soil and rocks, the heavy equipment used in the process also releases tons and tons of carbon dioxide.
Strip mining also leaves bentonite clay exposed. Then it, along with topsoil, is vulnerable to wash away into streams and other water sources. Strip mining can also contaminate groundwater.
The process of turning clay into litter also takes a lot of fossil fuels. When your cat’s litter arrives at a processing facility, it is not the dehydrated product that can be bought in the store. In order for it to arrive at that state, the liquid portion of the clay must be baked off. This takes a lot of energy.
Of course, the weight of clay litter also makes it a hefty load to ship. This means more fossil fuels and more space and weight at the dump.
🍀What Are Your Cat Litter Options and Which is the Best for the Environment?🍀
- Types of Cat Litter
- Clay Litter: This is the most common type of cat litter. Clay litter, as we stated above, comes from mining bentonite clay, which is a non-renewable resource.
- Crystal Litter: This litter is made from silica sand (or sodium silicate). Silica like bentonite is a finite resource that must be pulled from the Earth and processed.
- Pine Litter: Pine litter or pine pellets often contain clay for extra absorbency which has a minor impact compared to fully clay litter, but still negatively impacts the environment. Pine plantations also disrupt many ecosystems. The positives of pine litter are that trees are renewable and pine is compostable.
- Corn and Wheat Litter: Both corn and wheat litters are renewable and come with natural enzyme powers to reduce odor. Both are absorbent, as well. Corn and wheat can also be composted. The negative of these litters is that they can contain deadly toxins produced by fungi when moisture is left unchecked.
- 🌈Tofu Litter: Tofu litter is biodegradable and compostable. Tofu litter is soybean-based, which is a renewable resource. Unlike corn and wheat, soybean crops do not deplete the nutrients from the soil as aggressively. In fact, most agricultural organizations suggest farmers rotate corn to soybean crops to protect the integrity of the soil.
☘️ Why Switch to Our Tofu Cat Litter 🍀
ViviPet Tofu Cat Litter is made with 100% natural soybean curd. Our product is light, meaning it requires less fuel to ship. It also lasts and lasts. One 6-pound bag does the equivalent work of 20-pounds of clay litter!
Unlike corn and pine, our litter clumps quickly and seals-in odor and bacteria.
Not only is our litter eco-friendly, but it does not create as much dust as clay litter, making it more friendly for you and your cat. It is also biodegradable, flushable, and soft on your kitty’s paws.
Lessen your kitty’s impact on the environment and switch to an eco-friendly option that works. Keeping your kitty’s box is easy when all you have to do is scoop and flush or add the waste to your compost bin. Most importantly, our litter leaves your kitty happy and healthy.
ViviPet Tofu Cat Litter
— Meow for now —